Wednesday, September 19, 2012

June 9 -Tyler Bergantino post

Hernando Today, a Florida affiliate of the Tampa Tribune named UMass-bound big man Tyler Bergantino its Player of the Year.
I have no idea what kind of impact he'll make as a player at this level having never seen him play. But from every the one conversation I had with him and everything I've read and heard about him, he's going to be a popular person.
Hernando Today's Photo Illustration.
Here's a passage from that story:
"Part of his reason for going to UMass so early is he intends to graduate with his masters, as he pursues his interest in nonprofit business.
He wants to become involved in something such as the Make-A-Wish Foundation, but with a sports theme.
That desire comes from watching a young cousin eventually succumb to cancer at the age of 8.
"I saw that in person," Bergantino said. "I thought any kid in that state, he only had eight years, I think we should make it the best. I like helping people. It's what I want to do."
That attitude manifested itself during Nature Coast's prom. Bergantino was voted king that night, hardly a surprise for the literal big man on campus.
However, he didn't hold on to the crown for long. Instead he passed it along to Blake Chandler, a Shark wrestler and classmate who has battled cancer.
"I saw him there. I didn't know if he'd be there or not," Bergantino said. "I was thinking two weeks before prom I wanted him to be there so if I won, I could give it to him.
"He's such a great role model. He has battled through it and stayed strong. I thought 'Why do I deserve prom king?' He deserved it more than anybody else did.
"


No comments:

Post a Comment